Friday, September 15, 2006

Caitlin's Amazing Race: Travel Advice #1

Points to Mark!


Plane into Midway or O'Hare? Either or, both are served by the EL. Both are about the same time.

Must find hotel for under $200 close to the El. Priceline has proved sucessful for me in the past. Anywhere in the downtown area is close to the el.

Rent a car. Find parking for the car. Parking will be $20 a day anywhere downtown.

Stay in the suburbs? Nope, stay downtown.

Is Lincoln Park technically a ring suburb or a neighborhood? Its in the Chicago city limits. Neighborhood
How to see friends and get drunk with them while working early the next morning? Start right after work so you can be in bed at 10:00.
Okay ... get up at 5 to beat traffic to college fair at Navy Pier ... or catch the El? Nope, sleep til 7am and take a cab from downtown hotel. $5.
El to Adlai Stevenson High School... No clue.
where's the train schedule? http://www.transitchicago.com/
Can I overnight 400 road pieces to Navy Pier? Or carry them on the El? Its a pain to carry anything on the El. Overnight and expense it.
Crap. How to get out of the city and to Milwaukee and back in two days? Crap crap crap. Take the Hiawatha Amtrak train $20 each way or the MegaBus $5-$10 each way
Oh, and I'm gonna need a martini at the top of the Hancock Tower,
because otherwise why go to Chicago? I can expense the martini,
right? All three of them? All three of them. If it's the rules at my work anything under $25 doesn't need an itemized receipt. Check (discreetly) with your finance department first.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark! It's looking like I'll fly to O'Hare, rent a car, and stay near DePaul (chiefly because I love the neighborhood and want to have breakfast there every morning). I'll El in to the Pier and spend the day downtown, then catch my friends after the fair ends at 9. Hangover damned, I'm driving to Milwaukee the next afternoon, heading back, and then visiting schools around Lincoln Park, Oak Park, and downtown. Martinis #1 & #2 have been approved as part of my per diem (and I officially love my boss).

Thanks for the help--I owe you beer!

1:38 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

Sunflower seeds might help keep you awake on the drive to Milwaukee - good luck!

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home